MINI Cooper S Review

Posted on 13. Oct, 2006 by in Auto News

"It drives like a go-kart." In the last five years, I have this description of the BMW reborn clown car took the dynamics at face value. Living in Los Angeles, I have more of these faux-British as Carnaby Street ever seen. And I've often wondered if the MINI was small and extremely agile as his forbearer, or just small. Unlike cheap wine sipping next to the trio stunt cars in the third Austin Powers film used, I'd never had a chance to get up close and personal with a MINI. More importantly, I would never be the British-built roadster stateside handling of the test until this week, when RF is entrusted me with the task of assessing the "old" new MINI before the "new" new MINI.

Deconstruction of a design icon is difficult at best. At the risk of alienating the faithful, I will say this much: The new car is almost twice as big as the original and injured designer Alec Issigonis, the basic thesis (80% of the vehicle is dedicated to passengers, is the remaining 20% of Mechanics and luggage). Other than that, I think the new MINI looks like a toddler High Top Sneakers. Oh, and I love the J Mays cribbed 'headlights and the fact that the rear is wider than the front. So, um, you continue.

Once inside, I felt an overwhelming urge to pop one Prozac. Call me old-fashioned one, but I could not with the relentless designer-ness of the thing to be done. The cabin is fully in chrome, plastic, such as chrome, plastic, such as plastic and glass looks sparkling looks. Our tester came with the Cockpit Chrono package, which is still ADD-inducing than the standard set-up. MINI speedometer moves to the top of the wheel (next to the rev counter) leave the room for oil, fuel and temperature indicators (where is the boost gauge?). Although the MINI is billed as a pint-sized luxury, I reckon the point of luxury (in any amount) is to relax. The Cooper the inner workings almost induced seizures. Moving on.

Oxymoronic performance run-flat tires, 17 "inch alloy wheels, MacPherson struts (front), a multi-link suspension (rear), equal length drive shafts and A: The MINI Cooper S is to the gills with go-faster bits loaded compressor. Blower bangs from 168 horses for just £ 2678 of, um, style. A ridiculously high first gear (4.455) and the inherent FWD means dragster drawbacks, it takes almost seven seconds to get from rest to 60mph MINI. This stat was not so bad in 2001 In 2006, the similarly priced Mazda Speed3 indeed a full second faster, the MINI is not slow, but it's not a whole lot of fun to the transversely mounted 1.6.. – liter four-cylinder to beat in a straight line.

I've never been a big fan of a BMW cog-swapping solution in the MINI manual, the good people of Bavaria not disappoint my sense of disappointment. First of all, the MINI gear has a long-throw shifter. Such a device could have seemed appropriate again when the Sixties were waved, but today it just feels cheap and clumsy. Compressor horsepower-sucking reality means that the second you raise the foot to move from the gas, the engine loses 1500rpm. So even if the equipment that you think you want, it's not the equipment that you need. Try as I might whip this little whip, my plans were initially frustrated by the engine, and then through the aisles.

I've been driving karts pretty much lately, so I feel qualified to judge the similarity equal to MINI. After caning the MINI through California mountains and valleys, I can here and now that the MINI Cooper S is in fact announce the world's fattest go-cart. The initial turn-in is awesome: tight, precise and diligent. The right until the top of a train, the MINI lives up to the hype, and steering response with the kind of rapid fire, laser-controlled trust motorized food tray makes a kick in the ass. From the point of inflection on the go-kart analogy drives straight into the metaphorical pile of tires.

Lest we forget, go-karts rear drivers are machines. After you finish the turn, you plant your foot and power your way home. The MINI is front wheel drive. Suppose you have to find happiness, 4000rpm and summon 162 feet-pounds of torque it produces floor coverings from a corner a nightmarish mix of understeer plowing and furious steering. I tried the same trick with the traction control off and wondered if my insurance premiums were up to date. While cute, the MINI is not a track-day option.

Although not on our shores is BMW embiggening the newish "MINI" and ditching the blower for a turbo. Hopefully, the company champion chassis have sorted the MINI on-the-limit transfer. If so, the British go-cart is fully deserve the plaudits it receives piston head already.